Tuesday, August 18, 2009

dora


last friday was my niece's 2nd birthday, and she asked me for a dora cake. i had so much fun making it. this is pretty much the first time i've done anything like this. there was the bulldog, but all i really did was the teeth and nose, the rest was my mom. i did take a basic ceramics class in high school, and i think that helped a little.

here's the finished cake, i tried to make it kind of like the show—"across the river, over the mountain, to the house!"

my mom helped me make some flowers and plants out of royal icing

and dean and eden helped!

then i used fondant

to make all of the characters:

swiper the fox

boots the monkey

tico the squirrel, benny the bull, and isa the iguana

map and backpack

and the grumpy old troll

i also made the gooey geyser with moldable chocolate and lemonhead candies

and dora's house (my mom did the roof)

you may have noticed that there's something missing on this cake, after all, isn't it supposed to be a dora cake? well, i procrastinated and didn't have enough time or energy left to make a good dora, i did make her, but she just looked terrible. you can kind of see her in front of her house.

but at least the kids loved it!

3 comments:

  1. First, HAPPY (late) BIRTHDAY!!! You're amazing. I think I would feel guilty eating that cake because it's a masterpiece. (Tegan says it's beautimous incarnate.) We love you and miss you and can't wait until you get up here!!! -Love Katherine and Tegan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eden is soooooo lucky to have such a nice aunt! And, of course, Annalee is lucky to have such a nice sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS KELLI KAY WISWELL! I AM IN LOVE! WITH...
    1. YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ( I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!)
    2. YOUR CAKE >>>> UNBELIEVABLE!
    3. YOUR LONG HAIR! OH MY HECK (You still aren't exempt from taking a picture though, I would like you to take a self glamour shot)
    4. YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5. THAT YOU CALLED TODAY - MADE MY DAY!!!
    CAAAAAAAAAAAAN"TTT WAIT 11111 More second to SEEEEEEEE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete